Use Microsoft Exchange (EWS) accounts in Mail on your Mac
Before you begin
- OS X Snow Leopard and later support Exchange Web Services (EWS) as a connection to your SIO Email server.
- Your SIO Account must have the EWS option enabled.
- For best results, make sure that OS X is up to date before setting up your EWS account in Mail.
Add an Exchange (EWS) account to Mail
Follow these steps to add an Exchange account to Mail. You can add as many Microsoft (EWS) accounts as you want.
- Open Mail.
- From the Mail menu, choose Preferences, then click Accounts.
- Click the plus sign (+) to add an account.
- Select Exchange from the list of account types, then click Continue.
- Enter your name, email address, and password, then click Continue.
- If Autodiscovery isn't enabled on your Exchange server, you'll be asked to enter your server address, then click Continue. The server address is email.storeitoffsite.com.
- Features such as contacts and calendars can also be used with Exchange. Select the options you want to use, then click Continue.
- In earlier versions of OS X, a summary sheet appears when you complete setup. If the summary is correct, click Create. If you need to make changes, click Go Back. Select "Take account online" to start using the Exchange account.
If new messages don't appear in your Exchange mailbox
- If certificate authentication is enabled on the mail server, make sure that your mailbox has no more than 11,000 messages. Microsoft recommends no more than 5000 messages per Exchange mailbox.
- If that isn't the issue, quit Mail, then open it again and don't select any other mailbox while mail gets new messages. To be sure that Mail has finished downloading and indexing new messages, you can choose Window > Activity, then watch the progress of the download.
If you can't send or receive email or connect to the Exchange server after upgrading OS X
OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 and later use the Exchange Audodiscover service, which allows Mail to automatically get setup information from the Exchange server. If your server isn't providing the needed setup information, contact us for assistance. If necessary, you can turn off Autodiscover: Choose Mail > Preferences, select your Exchange account from the list of accounts, and deselect the "Use Autodiscover service" checkbox. You can then enter the internal and external server information manually.